- Omar predicts overwhelming victory in 2014 electionsPosted 1 day ago
- Priyanka Chopra pays obeisance at Vaishno DeviPosted 1 day ago
- Mir, Parnaik, Mattoo meet GovernorPosted 1 day ago
- Panasonic reaches one million AC sales in IndiaPosted 1 day ago
- BSF Paloura, St. Peter’s win handball titlesPosted 1 day ago
- Indo-US operations likely to dismantle terror havensPosted 1 day ago
- ‘PM to visit Kashmir on June 25′Posted 1 day ago
- CM meets PM Omar seeks Leh type package for Doda quake sufferersPosted 5 days ago
- DC for cordial relations between Govt, mediaPosted 5 days ago
- Jora inspects Srinagar city dev projectsPosted 5 days ago
PM slams’mindless’ negativity over corruption
NEW DELHI: Reiterating the UPA government’s commitment to minimise corruption in the economy and politics, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday said the ‘mindless’ atmosphere of negativity and pessimism that is sought to be created over the issue of corruption can do no good. “The mindless atmosphere of negativity and pessimism that is sought to be created over the issue of corruption can do us no good. It can only damage our nation’s image and hit at the morale of the executive,” the Prime Minister said during his speech at the 19th conference of CBI and state anti-corruption bureaux here.
He stressed upon the need to protect honest public servants and keep the morale of the executive intact.
“We need to ensure that even while the corrupt are relentlessly pursued and brought to book, the innocent are not harassed,” Dr Singh said.
The Prime Minister added that importance of making a distinction between bonafide mistakes and colourable exercise of power in investigation of corruption cases cannot be over emphasised.
The principal Opposition party BJP and India Against Corruption leader Arvind Kejriwal have been attacking the government on the issue of corruption.